The LCMS Walking Together: Members – Congregations – Districts – Synod
As part of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod body, we walk together in ministry. Members actively support their congregations. Congregations actively support their district. Districts actively support the Synod. Congregations engage by participating in programs, activities, outreach, governance processes, and also by giving financially to their district. In all of this, the Gospel is proclaimed.
Synod Bylaw 1.3:
Synod Bylaw 1.3, published in the LCMS Handbook, explains the relationships of congregations, circuits, districts, and the Synod. These relationships and the responsibilities in Bylaw 1.3 enable us to walk together in ministry.
What is activated by walking together? What is the point of walking together in ministry?
- Called, professional church workers are enabled to perform their job duties with tools and resources funded through giving. (Applies at all levels: Congregation, District, Synod)
- District staff pray for professional church workers, as well as lay people throughout the District.
- District staff spend time meeting with professional church workers and congregations to encourage them in sharing Jesus with their community or provide guidance on how to do this.
- Programs and resources are created and shared.
- Outreach and the mission are carried out.
- Professional church workers in congregations pray for their lay people and equip them to share Jesus.
- Lay people pray for their professional church workers and joyfully share Jesus with their community.
- We share a common Confession of who Jesus Christ is and what He has done for all people.
- We are stronger together! We GO and make disciples!
- The world sees Jesus!
- All this is done in response to the inexpressible love that God has showered on us through the gift of His Son.
You may be wondering …
How does my congregation benefit from walking together in ministry?
- You join thousands of others in joyfully sharing Jesus.
- Resources are available to you, which aid you in the mission of sharing Jesus:
- The Southern District is able to financially support:
- District Youth Gatherings
- Disaster Relief ($200,000 in 2018)
- Spirit Kindle Grants for community outreach